Chickpea Omelette Premix
If you know me, you know that I'm all about meal prepping i.e. preparing meals in advance so that your healthy habits don't ever have to suffer at the hands of your busy schedule. One of my favourite ways to "meal prep" is to make little jars of premixes that just need to be mixed with water or plant milk to make a quick meal or snack. Think healthy pancake premix, falafel premix, overnight oats premix, and now... Chickpea Omelette Premix. This premix takes all of the effort out of measuring and mixing your dry ingredients for chickpea omelette's by doing it in advance. It should last in your grocery cupboard for up to 6 months and you can make a huge batch at a time (just double or triple the recipe as needed). Then whenever you want to make a chickpea omelette, pancake or wrap, just mix the dry premix with water and pour it into a pan to make a quick high protein meal or snack in under 5 minutes.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1/3 of the recipe=
- 1 legume/ protein serving
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (black salt)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Mix all of your ingredients together in a mason jar or airtight container. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- To make your chickpea omelette: combine 1 cup of the premix with 1 cup of water. You will need to add the water slowly at first whilst stirring to prevent the mixture from forming lumps. Once you have a smooth paste, you can pour the rest of the water into the batter to thin it out. Pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the batter into a hot non-stick pan and flip when bubbles start to form on the outside.
- For a fritatta or pancake, use a smaller pan and pour the batter to about a 1cm depth. For a wrap, use a large pan and pour the batter until it just covers the base of the pan. For an omelette, pour the batter into a medium sized pan to about 1/2 cm depth).
My favourite chickpea pancake pre-mix toppings and fillings:
- Mix frozen corn and/or sauteed greens into the batter before cooking to make a frittata
- Mix sundried tomatoes, olives and basil into the batter before cooking to make another frittata variation.
- Mix sauteed greens into the batter before cooking and cook and flip as usual. After cooking top with fresh chopped tomato, red onion, avocado and rocket OR with basil pesto, kimchi/ sauerkraut, fresh spiralized cucumber and pickled jalapeno's.
- Make an omelette by adding vegan cheese, sauteed mushrooms and peppers into the batter whilst cooking and then fold the pancake in half with the mushroom and cheese filling inside.
- Make a thin pancake to use as a wrap stuffed with salad, avocado, sprouts and basil pesto.