Tofu "egg" mayo
Ever wondered what to put on your sarmies now that you eat a plant-based diet? I often get asked for ideas for sandwich fillings on a plant-based diet and really, the variety of fillings are as limitless as the plant kingdom itself: think smashed chickpeas, hummus, salad, nut cheese, pesto, avo, nut butter, chia jam and so much more! But, if you are looking for something that resembles a more traditional sandwich filling then look no further than this tofu "egg" mayo filling. It resembles a traditional egg mayonnaise (to the point that my dad couldn't believe that it wasn't real egg when I told him!) and it is packed with protein, iron, omega 3 and calcium, plus the turmeric acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent. A healthy alternative to egg mayonnaise that can be made in 5 minutes flat.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1/2 of the recipe=
- 1 legume/ serving
- 1 fat serving
- 1 x 290g block of soft tofu, drained.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (black salt)
- 2 tbsp egg-free light mayonnaise
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using your hands, crumble your tofu into a bowl (as if you were crumbling feta onto a salad).
- Once the tofu is crumbled, sprinkle the turmeric powder and kala namak onto the tofu and stir through until the tofu looks yellow.
- Mix the remaining ingredients through the tofu mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the tofu mixture with some crackers or on a slice of wholegrain toast.