Healthy Apple Crumble
Making healthy desserts without added sugar and oil can be a bit of a challenge, especially for those of us who are watching our weights but still hanker after the occasional sweet treat. That's why I came up with this dessert. It's packed with fibre, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats so that you can feel satisfied and nourished whilst enjoying a sweet treat. It is also oil free, low GI, dairy-free, vegan and can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free oats.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 seving (1/6th of the recipe)=
- 1 fruit serving
- 1 starch serving
- 1 nuts/ seeds serving OR 3 fat servings
For the filling:
- 4 golden delicious apples, cored and diced (I leave the skin on because fibre is cool!)
- 1 cup filtered water
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 dried cinnamon stick
For the crumble:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or liquid sweetner of choice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Dice and core your apples and add to a pot on medium heat. Add the water, lemon juice and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the apples are soft, stirring throughout and adding more water as necessary.
- Once cooked, set the apples aside, removing the cinnamon stick and make your crumble.
- For the crumble: add your oats, coconut, walnuts and seeds into a food processor and pulse until a course crumble is formed. You're looking for a grainy texture and not a fine flour texture.
- Once processed, pour your crumble mix into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your maple syrup, tahini, cinnamon and vanilla essence.
- Pour this mixture over the crumble mixture and work it through with your hands so that the flour is evenly coated.
- Spread your cooked apples over the bottom of an oven proof baking dish and cover evenly with the crumble.
- Bake at 180 for about 10-15 minutes or until the crumble is golden.
- Serve with a side of cashew nut yoghut or coconut cream.