Best Vegan Braai Potato Salad
As a Vegan, any social occasion involving a braai can be a minefield to navigate. That is why I developed this potato salad. It is hearty and filling enough to double as a meal (in case it's the only thing available for you to eat) and it's a sure winner amongst meat-eaters and veggies alike. Of course, I had to make it a little bit healthier than traditional potato salad so I added some crunchy broccoli and used a canola-oil based mayonnaise which is high in omega 3's and saturated fat free so it won't destroy your arteries! Give it a try for your next braai and let me know what you think.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 x 166g serving of this recipes =
- 1 starch serving
- 1 veg serving
- 2 fat servings
It all starts with...
- 1kg baby potatoes
- 3 large spring onions, thinly sliced
- 400g broccoli
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup B-well tangy mayonnaise/ vegan mayonnaise of choice
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
1. Boil the baby potatoes for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the stove, strain and allow to cool. Once cooled, cut into quarters.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, lightly steam the broccoli until tender but still crunchy (about 4-5 minutes). Allow to cool and then chop into small pieces. Mix the broccoli and sliced spring onions in with the potatoes.
3. Lightly toast the sunflower seeds in a pan until golden and sprinkle over the salad.
4. For the dressing: mix together all dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour over the salad. Serve warm or cold.