Quick wrap pizza
Pizza's are one of my favourite foods in the world but unfortunately eating pizza on a regular basis doesn't bode well for the waistline or the bank account so I decided to develop a homemade pizza using a multigrain wrap as a base. This pizza is full of nutrients, whole-grain and takes just 5 minutes to assemble. It is also truly delicious and can be made in a variety of creative ways with a variety of different toppings and condiments. Replace your Friday night pizza take-away with this baby and you will be just as happy plus just a little bit healthier!
For the pizza:
- 2 whole-grain wraps (I use the Woolworth's multiseed wraps)
- 6 tbsp jarred tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 slices red onion
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 60g pitted green olives
- 100g sliced mushrooms of choice
- 1 handful of fresh rocket for serving
- 40g basil cashew cream cheese (see below) or 40g dairy-free cheese of choice
For the basil cashew cream cheese:
- 1 cup cashews soaked in 1 cup water for 4-6 hours minimum
- 1 big handful fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to tast
1. Place your cashews into a bowl with water and allow to soak for 4-6 hours. This ensures that the cashews blend smoothly and do not become grainy but is not necessary if you have a high-powered blender like an Omniblend.
2. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and place your wraps next to each other on an oiled baking tray. Spread the pasta sauce evenly over the wraps.
3. Add your cut up vegetable toppings on top of the sauce-lined wraps. I always start with mushrooms at the bottom and then sprinkle the green peppers, tomatoes, onions and olives evenly over the wrap. Leave the rocket off until the end.
4. To make the basil cashew cream cheese: drain your soaked cashews and add them into your nutribullet or high-powder blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. The cheese should be a smooth thick paste and is best added after baking. If you are short on time you can use a store-bought vegan cheese instead. Sprinkle this on before baking if you would like it to melt.
5. Place your pizza in the heated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms and peppers are softened. After baking, top with a few teaspoons of your cashew cream cheese if using (you will have plenty of leftovers) and your rocket.
6. Serve with a big green salad on the side.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 serving of this recipes =
- 2 starch servings
- 1 veg serving
- 1 nuts/ seeds serving or 3 fat servings