Wholewheat Rooster Koek
Rooster koek is a traditional South African bread which is cooked over a braai and served with a variety of fillings and toppings. This version was created using wholewheat flour and the new Flora vegan. Replacing refined carbohydrates like white flour with higher fibre, less refined carbohydrates like wholewheat flour is a great way to get more fibre into your diet, stay fuller for longer and prevent heart disease. The Flora vegan adds some heart-healthy omega 3 fats and is a great replacement for the traditional butter that is often used in this dish.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 x serving of this recipe =
4 starch servings
1 fat serving (if you add 30g non-dairy cheese or 1 tsp flora for topping)
1.2 kg wholewheat/ spelt flour
10g instant yeast
500ml lukewarm water
15ml melted flora vegan
Jam or marmalade
Dairy-free cheese of choice
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt and sprinkle the yeast on top.
2. Add the water to form a stiff dough. Knead the dough until elastic.
3. Brush the dough with the margarine and cover.
4. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled.
5. Knead down and shape into 12 equal sized balls.
6. Flatten the balls and braai over a slow fire until golden brown.
7. Serve with fillings of your choice.