Detox Cabbage Soup
As a cruciferous vegetable, cabbage has so many health benefits: from suppressing cancer cell growth and lowering cancer risk to combating oxidative stress and providing a host of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fibre!
Unfortunately though, most people just don't love eating their cabbage on a regular basis. This is where cabbage soup comes in: not only is it a great way to pack in the cruciferous veggies but it is the ultimate winter staple and super budget-friendly.
Cabbage, along with the parsley, also have diuretic properties and together with the high fibre content, it means that this soup is perfect for combating water retention, bloating and constipation. It is so satisfying and nutritious but also low in calories so it is easy on the waistline and basically the ultimate "flat tummy" elixir.
Give it a try.
*For those with thyroid dysfunction, be sure to consume enough iodine when eating high amounts of cruciferous vegetables.
It all starts with...
- 280g turnips, diced
- 200g leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 30g celery leaves, chopped
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 25g curly leafed parsley, chopped
- 700g shredded white cabbage
- 1 litre boiling water + 4 tsp vegetable stock powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a tablespoon of water in a large pot. Once heated, add the leeks and sauté in the water until translucent, adding more water as necessary to prevent sticking.
2. Add the celery leaves and saute for another 2 minutes until wilted.
3. Add the carrots and turnips and stir through.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, boiling water and stock and stir through.
5. Add the cabbage, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the carrots are cooked through.
6. A few minutes before the end of cooking, add the chopped parsley and stir through so that it wilts slightly but doesn't lose colour.
7. Season with salt and pepper*.
* This soup is best enjoyed with a strong kick of pepper. I add at least 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper to the pot. If you prefer your soup without a kick, feel free to leave the pepper out.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 x 236g serving of this recipes =
· 2 veg servings