This recipe includes one of my all time favourite dairy alternatives: Cashew yoghurt. I used to be a huge lover of plain yoghurt before I switched to a plant-based diet and it was one of the few things I found difficult to give up. Luckily there are amazing dairy-free alternatives that provide all of the creamy tart yoghurty flavour but without all the saturated fat and hormones found in dairy. The non-dairy version is also made with live probiotic cultures so it is a great way to improve gut health and immunity. In addition, cashews are super high in healthy fats and minerals like iron and zinc.
I love making my cashew yoghurt into a creamy savoury tzatziki dip and then add it as a condiment to my hot bean dishes, rice, salads (it makes for a great salad dressing) or use it as a spread on wholegrain crackers or toast or as a dip for raw veggies. It also makes a wonderful sauce for falafel along with some hummus and tahini. But best of all, I often serve this at dinner parties and nobody ever knows that it's not the "real" dairy version.
Cashew Yoghurt Tzatziki
- 360g potatoes / baby potatoes
- 360g beetroot
- 360g diced butternut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 40g fresh rocket
- ½ small tub pomegranate arils
- A good grind salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons tahini paste
- 4-6 tablespoons water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 180’ Celsius
- Dice potatoes and beetroot. Mix with diced butternut
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread out the roasting veg on the tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Place in the oven to roast for about 75 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the dressing by adding all the dressing ingredients into a mixing bowl and stirring until completely combined. Add more water if needed - it should be the consistency of a creamy dressing sauce.
- Put your rocket into your serving dish and top with the roasted veg and pomegranate arils
- Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoon of dressing.
- Serve warm or cold.
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 x 62g serving of this recipes =
· 1 fat servings