My Green Body Challenge: The Rules
I am so excited to announce that I am launching a free 30 day plant-based "Green Body" challenge for the month of October and I can't wait for you all to join me!
This challenge will allow you to clean up your diet and improve your health dramatically with the support of me and an online community of like-minded people. Not only does a Green diet improve your internal health, but it is also more environmentally friendly and can improve mental acuity and emotional well-being.
If you have been considering trying a fully plant-based diet for a while but just haven't made the leap, this is the perfect opportunity for you to make a commitment to eat plant-based in a healthy way for 30 days with the support and help of a qualified Dietitian.
If you are already plant-based, vegan or vegetarian but are wanting to shed a few kilo's before summer starts, clear up your skin, improve digestion, enhance athletic performance, improve energy levels or just want to eat a little bit healthier, this is an amazing opportunity to do so in an abundant, plant-centred way and with access to help from a qualified Dietitian.
For all of my patients out there who are looking to clean up their diets even further, to break through their weight loss plateau, lose an extra few kilo's before summer or to just get out of a rut, this challenge used in conjunction with your personalized meal plan will help you do just that.
To thank you all for participating in the challenge, I am giving away a complimentary individualized meal plan to one challenge participant who has shown commitment and has embraced a community spirit for the duration of the challenge. This meal plan will help the lucky winner to continue on their journey towards optimal health after the challenge ends.
How to participate in the challenge?
The Challenge will begin on Monday 02 October and will last for 30 days. Just follow the guidelines below and hashtag #mygreenbody in order to share your journey, challenges and successes with all those participating. I will be doing the challenge along with you and supporting you through the entire process. If you have questions just comment on my photo's or instastories during the challenge period and I will be happy to support you.
What are the rules of the challenge?
The Challenge has 9 simple rules which will ensure that you not only reset any unhealthy habits but that you get in loads of nutrients and avoid all harmful foods in order to achieve optimal health. Here are the 9 challenge rules:
1. The challenge is 100% plant-based. That means no foods of animal origin and only foods of plant origin. So, no meat, chicken, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy products or honey for 30 days.
2. The challenge only allows whole foods. Whole foods are “foods that have been processed as little as possible and are free from additives and other artificial substances.” Vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, legumes, nuts and seeds will be the focus of your diet.
3. No sugar is allowed on the challenge. Avoid all added sugars, including table sugar, honey, fructose, glucose, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc. You may use small amounts of stevia, xylitol or erythritol to sweeten your food. Check all foods for any sugar-containing ingredients e.g. glucose, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), honey, fructose, sucrose, etc. Avoid all sugar containing beverages such as cooldrinks, juices, cordials, iced teas, etc.
4. No alcohol is allowed on the challenge. Avoid all alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer, spirits, etc. You may use fermented foods containing a small amount of alcohol which is produced naturally during fermentation. You may also use a small amount of red wine for cooking, as long as the alcohol evaporates during the cooking process.
5. No refined oils and fats are allowed on the challenge. This includes butter, margarine, vegetable oils, olive oil, coconut oil, nut and seed oils. Check all foods for any oil-containing ingredients e.g. hydrogenated vegetables oil, vegetable oil, palm kernel oil, etc. Avoid all oil containing foods e.g. fried foods, pastries, chips, cakes, chocolate, etc. When eating out at restaurants, ask for no oil to be used during cooking or stick to salads (without dressing) and sushi.
6. No refined grain products are allowed on the challenge. This includes white rice, pasta, corn flakes, white bread, etc.
7. No flour products are allowed on the challenge, even if made from whole-grain flour. This includes all bread, pasta, cereals, crackers, etc. Rather stick to whole grains in their whole intact form, for example brown rice, quinoa, barley, oats, etc.
8. Be portion smart. If you are aiming to lose weight, make sure that at least half of your meal is filled with vegetables or fruit. Stick to about ½ - 1 cup of cooked starchy foods per meal and ½ - 1 cup of cooked legumes or soya foods per meal. Limit high fat foods (such as seeds, nuts, avocado, hummus and olives) to about 1-2 tbsp per meal.
9. Move more. Make sure to exercise at least 3 times per week for a minimum of 30-40 minutes at a moderate intensity. You can do any exercise you prefer from walking to running to yoga to swimming, as long as you move your body. Make sure that you are exercising at a hard enough intensity to increase your heart rate so that you are breathing slightly heavier than usual and working up a bit of a sweat.
So what can I eat?
In order to make the rules of the challenge a little more practical, and to showcase all the amazing plant foods that you will be eating I have created the table below. This table will also help to guide you as to which exact foods should be avoided and which can be included. The foods marked with an asterix* are foods that you should eat in portion smart quantities if your aim is to lose weight.
If you are ready to commit to the challenge (and hey, why would you not be?), go ahead and start preparing for the start of the challenge on Monday. Preparation is a key factor in determining your success so decide what you will be eating for breakfasts, lunches and suppers, give away any foods that are not challenge friendly, stock up on challenge friendly groceries and fresh produce for the week ahead and best yet, get cooking and pre-preparing your food if you can. If you need some meal prepping inspiration or ideas, check out my Instagram and Facebook pages.
Good luck for the next 30 days! I can guarantee that you will feel amazing by the end of it and be able to set good nutritional habits for life! I am so excited to be embarking on this journey with you and can't wait to hear all your feedback.